Today’s recipe/craft is rock candy.
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups sugar
- 1/2-1 tsp flavoring extract or oil (optional)
- food coloring (optional)
- glass jar
- wooden skewer
- Wet the wooden skewer & roll it in the sugar. This will be the base layer that will give the sugar crystals something to stick to when they start to form. Set the skewer aside to dry so you you can prepare the sugar syrup.
- Put the water in a medium sized pan & bring it to a boil. Add the sugar, 1 cup at a time, stir after each addition – until the sugar has dissolved. After all sugar has all been added and is dissolved remove the pan from the heat.
- If using colors or flavorings, add them now. If using an extract, add 1 tsp of extract, but if using flavoring oils, only add ½ tsp . Add 2-3 drops of food coloring & stir.
- Let the sugar syrup cool for 10 minutes, then pour in your jar. Lower the sugared skewer until it hangs about 1 inch from the bottom.
- Carefully put the jar in a cool place, away from lights, where it can sit undisturbed. Cover with saran wrap or paper towel.
- You should see sugar crystals start to form within 2-4 hours. If you haven’t seen a change to the skewer after 24 hours,boil the sugar syrup again & dissolve another cup of sugar, then pour it back in the jar & insert the skewer again.
- Let the rock candy to grow until it is the size you desire. Don’t let it grow too big, it could start growing into the sides of your jar! After it has reached the size you desire, remove it & let it dry a few minutes.
- Enjoy or wrap in plastic wrap and save for later.
**Images were sent to me by a friend so I’m not sure where they came from.